Monday, September 13, 2004

Not yangyang, not a nuc

I tried to put two pictures in one post. It didn't work, I'll have to try again some other time.

Here is a map showing where the explosion took place. In the Digital Chosun, the province is named Ryangyang. In the Korea Herald, below, it is named Yangyang. This is a common problem going from Hangeul (Korean alphabet) to English. The Korean 'Ry...' sound is very difficult for English speakers to pronounce and some simply accept the 'r' as silent. The reason I am writing about this is I live in Yangyang District in northern South Korea. Mom, or any other friends reading this, there was no explosion here.


The map comes from digital chosun Posted by Hello .

In fact, as far as I can tell, there was no nuclear explosion at all. A nuclear explosion would create an EMP that would be easily measured some distance away. No electro-magnetic pulse, no nuc.

As for what the explosion was, or why it happened, I have no idea. Hey, citizens of Korea, maybe chanting 'Yankee Go Home' wasn't such a good idea, after all.

Update: I am pretty smart, really. However, I do often act without paying enough attention. For example, this location is Ryanggang, not Ryangyang. The second syllable is 'gang'. It doesn't sound much like yangyang after all.

Here's to actually reading what I plan to post about.

No comments: