Sunday, December 12, 2004

In Canada for the Holidays

I am now in Midland, Ontario at my mother's house for the Christmas holiday. It's my first time back in two and a half years.

There is already about 15cm snow on the ground and overnight the bay has frozen over. The sky is grey but it's still a beautiful place, quieter than anyplace I've been in in years.

This morning I got up at 5:30- earlier in fact, but I left my bed around 5:30 due to jetlag. When there was enough light, I walked down a trail through the woods. It had been packed-down by some snowmobiler eager to start the season. The trail started through a thicket of sumac trees, leafless but still holding their shocking-red, hairy berries. It was a good way to start the day but -4 degrees fells much colder than I remembered.

More later but no photos until I get back home.

No comments: