Thursday, October 05, 2006

Employment discrimination

In my listening class, we are watching a PBS ESL video series called Connect with English. It chronicles the life of Rebecca Casey. Information about the series, and Video-On-Demand, can be found here (I'm not selling the product; I certainly don't love the product, but the info may be of interest to co-workers who read this blog).


When looking for a job, she was asked some inappropriate questions. Homework for that episode was listening to various job interview questions and determining which were illegal (I made the homework, it had nothing to do with PBS- just wanted that clear). That same week, I found this poster advertising job openings at the local E-mart. The ad specifically requires men between 20 and 35 years of age.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I wonder if they'll give me a job...would love to find out if I'd get E-mart discounts.

skindleshanks said...

They probably would--provided you take the 90% wage cut and work for 2500-3000/hour.

skindleshanks said...

Sorry, I re-read the posting--I guess if you're a skilled cook, then you get 4,000/hour.