Thursday, January 04, 2007

an alternative to skiing

Here is something I would never have considered; riding a ski lift then hiking (rather than skiing or boarding) back down. When I started reading, I envisioned hikers crossing, and screwing up, the ski-slopes but it turns out their are hike-only trails for use.

I really want to ride this Muju gondola (my highlighting): The gondolas take up to eight people. They run from 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. and take riders to a point 2,671 meters above sea level in 15 minutes.
Wow, fifteen hundred meters above Korea's highest mountain! UPDATE: Its a good thing I am an ESL teacher, not a math teacher - as Masan's greatest hiker (strangely enough, this description is without sarcasm) pointed out, Korea's tallest mountain is much taller than 1100 meters. Still, the gondola, as described, does climb seven hundred meters above Korea's tallest mountain. Uh, you trust me, right? Do I need to show my work?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops, looks like Korea's highest mountain is now about 1100 meters.

kwandongbrian said...

Man! Its a good thing I'm an ESL teacher and not a math teacher!

Alright, smartipants, the gondola still goes well above the highest mountain; only seven hundred meters higher, rather than fifteen hundred.
Thanks for the heads-up.