Monday, April 20, 2009

Computer down again - possible virus identified

I use Google's version of Norton anti-virus and PC Tool's Spyware Doctor. Now, I also use Ahnlab V3 because it is required at work.

A few weeks ago, Spyware Doctor informed me that I had around 200 copies of "BACKDOOR GirlinRed " on my computer and chose to have them removed. Afterwards, I lost internet capability but I wasn't ready to link the two events chiefly because my computer is so old loss of services is common.

The great people at the service centre at my university fixed me up and I enjoyed the internet for four days before learning that I had 194 copies of "BACKDOOR GirlinRed" on my computer. Once they were removed, no more internet.

Now, I am pretty sure that the virus (to an oldtimer like me, all these things are viruses - should I be saying malware or something?) or the anti-virus software process of removing the virus is the culprit, but I can't really say. For what it's worth, the problem seems to be a change in the Windows software that requires a backdoor and reinstall. MSN Messenger troubleshooting tells me that I have an invalid IP address.

From the Threatexperts: (link above)


Possible Security Risk
Attention! Characteristics of the following security risk was identified in the system:


Security Risk
Description

Backdoor.GirlinRed
Backdoor GirlinRed is a backdoor which will let infected system to be controlled for malicious purpose.
Attention! The following threat categories were identified:


Threat Category
Description
A malicious backdoor trojan that runs in the background and allows remote access to the compromised system


A malicious trojan horse or bot that may represent security risk for the compromised system and/or its network environment


A program that downloads files to the local computer that may represent security risk

No comments: