Wednesday, October 14, 2009

number 1000

This is my 1000th post.

Expect a 'What Next' kind of post coming soon. It will describe what I want the next 1000 posts to be like; as far predictions and planning allow.
I've just spent an enjoyable few hours looking at my archives. Below I liveblogged my review. At the bottom, I mentioned the few times Gangwon Notes, or myself have been in the news.


-------------------

First six posts - an attempt at making my own categories or tags.


Finding my voice - a few political posts -that didn’t last.

ESL posts

Sept 16, 2004 - the first time I posted the photo of a sleeper.

Cycling posts. Rice and farming. Hiking Environment

Right from 2005, I mention my fight with my weight. Nothing’s changed there.


March 2005 - why I don’t want a car - interesting now that I have one.


Coast Guard blogging started Spring of 2005

my first post on religion occurred in late spring.

Hmmm, the discussion around ‘Realnames’ started in the summer of 2005.


It is around this time that the boundaries for this blog narrowed a little. There were fewer travel posts after this point. (as noted in the other section below -this is when my son was born).

The MIC (Ministry of Information?) blocked blogger Aug, 2005. Kevin Kim was a leader in protesting the censorship.

Hmm. Bird Flu was the disease de jour for Fall 2005

Blogging the canal started in October 2005.

I got burned by an April Fool’s joke in 2006. someone claimed to want an international club in Korea but Canadians weren’t welcome. It looks like I bought it unquestioningly. Oh, I have a fair list of April Fool’s Jokes that were more local in scope but of fair effectiveness.

A falcon nested on a neighbor’s verandah in June 2006

Two web services- Odeo for creating MP3s online, and Jumpcut, for editing videos online came and went during the past five years. There are a few empty posts now.

I attended my first KOTESOL conference in 2006

Hallowe’en is also the time for student elections - the two are similar as they involve dressing in costumes. In 2007, a group of superheros beat me up.

My son had surgery for an inguinal hernia, June 2008

At a camp I work at, the assistants are called ‘Program assistants’ or ‘PA’s. Pa is also the word in Korean for green onion or leek. Everytime I am at camp, I have my students tape green onion to the PA office door. They (the students) love it. The PAs? Not so much. Aug 2008 and others.

Man, that Bell’s Palsy really sucked. Sept 2008.




Personal experiences and Gangwon Notes in the News:

Contenders, the arirang TV Game Show.

Naksan fire (April 5, 2005)

On June 22, 2005, my son was born and I posted a few audio blogs at the time. The service -odeo- has since ended and those posts are lost. There are several photos of the little guy from around that time.

Starting in 2006, I found that wikipedia fan death articles linked to me. English wikipedia no longer does so but some foreign language versions do. A medical professor at my university was quoted on the Wikipedia article and I interviewed him.

I rode to promote Canada’s claim to Hans Island in Spring 2006.

Gord Sellar admitted to liking my article on caring about cheating - I was so proud!

Spring 2006, I interviewed two co-workers who chose to take Korean citizenship. The interviews were commented upon by the Korea Times Going to the Blogs column, a short lived summary of blog activity locally.

Summer 2006: While in Canada, I went on a kayaking trip with friends and there was a huge storm that killed someone (same storm but different location). I commented that I hoped he at least passed away doing something he enjoyed and the sister of the deceased commented that she felt he had and she enjoyed my post.

I posted about Scott Sigler’s book (a bestseller) and he commented here.

In May of 2007, I gave a speech at Gangneung National University about foreigners views of the Korean War and continuing armistice.

October 2007: I guest posted at EFL Geek, reviewing Korean Class 101.

On February 10, 2008, you will find my longest comment thread, but it is only two people- myself and an ex-coworker who is a creationist. It was a debate between people who were once friends and we nearly remained friends at the end.


Take Back the Sidewalks: June, 2008 is a post that became an article for my university’s English language magazine. A previous article I wrote was about Lee Myeong-bak’s canal and i was asked, after this one, to please stay away from politcal articles.

I’ve gone to the salmon festival almost every year. In 2008, I was on the promotional posters and such. The organizers gave me gift certificates.

In January of this year, Gangwon tourism asked for my help in choosing an English slogan. Hmm, I don’t know how that turned out.


That brings us to 2009. That's recent enough to be in your memory.

No comments: